Powered by Blogger.

I have to admit, I was very hesitant to order this product after reading some of the reviews. I was seriously considering finding the older 1440 model, because one of it's reviews was so positive. But I called Franklin and talked to one of their techs, who convinced me to buy this.

I'm so glad he did. My husband and I are serious Spanish students (study several hours per day),and are planning to move to Mexico. We also have several Mexican employees.

The 1450 is ideal for us. It is really meant for Mexico, and South America, not Spain. It tells you when a word is appropriate for a certain country. What I love about it is that nearly all the words I have ever looked up for translation have been available, with very good definitions. language talking translator

Also it corrects spelling errors. More importantly, with many words that have variable meanings, it gives examples of sentences to show how variable the meaning can be.

This has been invaluable for us, since the tendency in learning a language is to try to translate quite literally, which is often inappropriate.
(Example: Caer;
1:to fall, to drop
2:to collapse
3:to hang down
4:caer bien - to be pleasant, to be likable<me caes bien: I like you>
5:caer mal or caer gordo: to be unpleasant, to be unlikable
6:caerse:to fall down)
In the past, I would have been tempted to use 'me gusta' to say I liked someone; however, this would have implied I had amorous feeling for them (oops!) Who would have guessed?
This info can also be found in the book, 'Breaking out of Beginner's Spanish', which is also highly recommended, but the electronic translator keeps it right at your finger tips.
My husband was a dedicated hard copy dictionary user, who thought I was wasting my money, until he realized how fast, easy, and on-the-mark the Franklin is. He "borrowed" my 1450 so often that I finally ordered another one for him, and another one for my 13-y.o.

Verb conjugations do take a little time,(not long enough to irritate me,still a useful function), but this is not primarily what I use it for. There are so many other good products on the market for that, such as the Warren Hardy flashcards (www.warrenhardy.com), the Real Spanish Path (www.speakspanish.com), etc.

I hardly ever use any of the other functions, just the translator. It's very quick to switch from English to Spanish (how do you say?) to Spanish to English (what's that word mean?) If you forget and type in an English word in the Spanish function, one button will automatically switch you over, so you don't have to re-type it. By the way, don't forget to follow the arrows on your display pad. There is always much more info than what you can originally see, so you need to keep scrolling down to read it. Also, be clear about this, the translator does not translate phrases, only single words. Bien viaje!

Get now at Franklin DBE-1490 Merriam-Webster Spanish-English Dictionary

0 comments