Powered by Blogger.

I've read a few books on the translation business, both focusing on my language pair (Russian to English) and also on simply breaking into the business. This is the best one from that latter sparse field. I mean, it could be extended and Daniels acknowledges this by posing a lot of other issues that could be addressed at the end. However, he has a lot of great tips, and also provides a much more useful overview of the current state of the profession, in contrast to Corinne McKay, whose book on the topic costs a lot more and provides less viable information using a great deal more verbiage.

 I wish Daniels would address in his next book how to attain proficiency in SDL Trados, for one (I've been working on this for half a year now, and am still stuck using the 2007 edition as the 2009/2011 editions are highly complex and I don't even see the advantage of using them yet), and any tips on attaining expertise in selected fields of specialization would be welcome.

I am proficient in Russian having lived there a number of years and having attained a doctorate in the language. That being said, I am stuck in low-paying work now since my portfolio is thin and I am not well-versed in engineering, medicine, pharmaceuticals, construction, law. I am doing what I can by simply reading books on law and finance. It's a real struggle for an older "newbie" like me, though.

This book deserves five stars, though, for its pragmatism, its breadth, and the price makes it an especially good value. Hope Daniels comes through with that website of his. I checked it out, but so far there is no means of registering on it.

More information at How to Become a Translator - Breaking into the freelance translation business

0 comments